Monday, August 18, 2014

Fluffing a Favorite Cottage ….


BEAD COTTAGE



I love revisiting a cottage that I restored with Blood ,Sweat and lots of white paint…great memories watching the transformation.
The cottage I fluffed today, is one of my all time favorite. For years I walked by wishing I could see inside and own it myself. It looked pretty forlorn  but I could feel its amazing energy.

Beach house Blue and Key Lime www.janecoslickcottagecollection.com   colors
I was so shock when my friend called to ask me if I had any interest  in buying the little brown house on 2nd Ave.  I was stunned.. Wishing for something for so long and then having your dream come true.....Remarkable......
The cottage  always looked to me like one "eye" was always closed . I couldn't wait to tear out the dark wall  and see if maybe,just maybe, they had just covered  the matching double pocket window on the left side of the door..and they had .My lucky day.

Here is my Mom in front of the cottage "BEFORE"…she always was so supportive of my dreams even when I knew she had a few doubts. I miss her every day.

AFTER with the addition of a screen porch as large as the cottage


The kitchen and laundry..(.Richard Leo Johnson photograph)





the living room with all the vintage white slip covered furniture



my  favorite light fixture...that I had to convert to a pull chain...
Cottages take some adapting.... they're not new and they're not perfect but their amazing energy makes up for any shortcomings.





the twin bedroom ..Bellamy,my friend, sold me these beds right after I bought the cottage.
It  was as if they had actually  been there  all along....





Everything in the cottage was white..and I mean everything. except the exterior colors. Cottage Living Magazine referred to it as "the White House". Color has come slowly into the space with the Bellamy art and pillows and accessories.The key to small space is not to overload it with any one thing.. 650 square feet. (not including the screen porch.I fluffed today as gently as I could with pops of color here and there.
I love  the color this vintage glass sphere. 
Richard Leo Johnson photograph from the Cottage living story

another of Richard's photograph  of the screen porch and the beloved pocket windows
the painting is a Blanche Nettles.
Richard Leo Johnson again....
.the built in book   cases were original to the cottage
and act as storage and a room divider.

My Dream came true..and the preservation on the cottage  changed the attitude of many island skeptics.
HURRAH HURRAH...


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your work is truly beautiful and inspirational. amazing! (hello all the way from Adelaide Australia)

luciahames said...

Your blog is the first that I read every day...loving that dream of Tybee living!

Lyn Moon said...

I've been looking through your blog. Your work is beautiful and so much fun. How wonderful to make a living doing something you love. It looks like you have redone all of Tybee Island. You are blessed with great talent. I'm a fan.