Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In Memory of a Great Dog named Foster

In my lifetime I have been blessed by wonderful Dogs and Cats appearing in my life and enriching it in the most incredible ways. Animals are my passion and I cherish all of them. Some say, "I am a dog person" or "I am a cat person" . I just love them all.
Foster was in foster care at a wonderful fabric store in Bluffton SC called Discount Fabrics. The owner rescues dogs and trains them as service dogs. Foster was very timid because of his terrible life and so he was so very shy . My  dog, Tramp, (who was someones ex husband that had come back as a dog) had recently died and I  was sad and lost without him.  Two great feral  kitties (Grey and Red) had shown up at the beach cottage but the" hole in the heart" was ever present for Tramp. I walked into the fabric store and I saw Foster  hanging out among the chintz and linen (15years ago chintz was everywhere) . It was love at first site.
He was my constant companion on job sites and and all my construction projects. He would follow me from room to room "inspecting" and looking in every corner like he really KNEW what needed to be completed.
There will never be another Foster. He was loving , sweet, well behaved and very smart.
When he was found , injured and so ill the vet was getting ready to put him to sleep. Foster put his paw on the vets face ( Like he has always did when he lays down and you come close to him). The Vet said, "this is a keeper" He definitely was!!! I need to write that vet a thank you note for sure.!!!!
Foster is featured on my website in a great photo taken by Doug Keister. He and Brian Coleman kept bringing cookies to the house and bribed Foster( and Lucky) for a great photo.


17 comments:

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

I know how you feel. I lost Jasper, my sweet girl, December 2002 just before Christmas, and every year when I hear Christmas carols, my heart still aches and there's a heaviness in my chest that will probably never go away.

S
xo

geri said...

Hi Jane.
My heart is sad for you.
it is one of the hardest things in the world to
have to say goodbye to your best friend and sweetest beings in the world, our pooches.
My heart sings for you . You both found each other and shared that special love and companionship.
He will always be with you and you with him.
all my best. geri.

{Carrie} said...

What a wonderful life you gave him and that he gave you. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry!! Pets are like family for sure...

Anonymous said...

You saw him through to the end - that was what he needed.

Melanie said...

I always hold onto the fact that it's not what you lost--- it's what you had.... It sounds like your pup was a real friend...Remember the good things...

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Oh just looking at those soulful eyes and his white tube socks...I can see he was a "keeper". You both were lucky to be in each others life!

Jules said...

Foster's eyes say it all. I am so sorry Jane, they leave such a huge hole in your life when they are gone.
We are loving and spoiling our Maggie who appears, at present, to be in remission but I know the day is coming soon when I too will have to say goodbye.
It seems there have been too many goodbyes in my life but the absolute joy each and every one of our beloved animals have brought us over the last 40 odd years has been worth it. xx

Unknown said...

Losing a companion like Foster is one of the hardest things we go through. But remember that you gave him a wonderful life he might not have had otherwise. That's how I cope with losing my boy Slim.

Anonymous said...

Oh honey I'm so sorry. I tried to leave you a comment last night when I first saw this post but I was having internet connection problems. Although, I haven't had any in my adult years, I had plenty of fur babies (dogs) growing up and I remember each one of them as if it were yesterday. So I know exactly how you feel. They do bring so much joy to our lives. But, I know you can take comfort in the fact that you gave him Love, and friendship. And I know firsthand what your friendship means. You are very special, Jane and you touch all the lives lucky enough to be around you, both of the two legged and 4 legged kind. He was adorable. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers sweet lady.

Love you!
Crystal

My Life of Domestic Bliss said...

I am sending my thoughts and prayers to you. It's not how you start, but how you finish and with your love and help it sounds like Foster had a good finish.
Take care,
Lisa

Deb said...

I stumbled across your blog this afternoon ...seeing your precious Foster I just had to leave a comment. What a gorgeous face ♥ how wonderful you found one another & had so many joyful years together. Like you, animals are my passion. We adopted an 11 year old black lab last Christmas (after loosing our 11 1/2 year old lab)sight unseen ... but the moment we met I knew too that he was "a keeper".

Unknown said...

I just met Foster almost 4 weeks ago when I met you while Glen and Marty Wilson were in town. Lost my kitty that I raised from 3 days old about 5 years ago. Worst thing I had ever been through til my brother died. I feel for and with you. His soul is with you.

Carol Gerrin

Kara said...

I'm so sorry for you loss. He sounds like an awesome pup.

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

I"m so sorry to hear about Foster passing on. He sounds like he met his soul mate in you.

Sandy said...

What a sweet face and those eyes are so deep and filled with love. I'm sorry for your loss both of you were lucky to have found each other.

Mobile app development company said...


Informative article. Thanks for sharing. I would like to share information about the Top android app development companies in Pune. Appconsultio, a Mobile app development company is truly a trailblazer in the industry, consistently delivering top-notch apps that elevate user experiences and drive business success. Their visionary team of developers and designers crafts digital experiences that redefine industry standards.